To say we’re Kentucky proud might be a bit of an understatement. Our Kentucky grown hemp from local farmers is an amazing start. Then, we had to take it further with local partnerships and be a Kentucky Derby sponsor. Now 502 Hemp has outdone ourselves with Kentucky flavored relief in Bourbon and Mint Julep CBD oils. Why stop there? Now we’re cooking. Literally, we take our wellness to the kitchen with our Kentucky spirited CBD oils and healthy recipes.
How We Made CBD Brownies Healthy
Brownies don’t have to have a bad reputation. Make your dessert and eat it too with no guilt. How is our CBD brownie healthy? First, no sugar. We substituted sugar with maple syrup. Maple syrup has a glycemic index of 54 whereas processed and unprocessed sugars can range from 65 to 103. This can help prevent quick and high spikes of blood sugar.
Depending on the type of pure maple syrup, it can contain zinc, magnesium, calcium, and potassium. Additionally, pure maple syrup contains quebecol which is an anti-inflammatory. Even better, it has lots of antioxidants. Pure maple syrup is superior to the processed version. Processed maple syrups often contain artificial sweeteners or sugars that cause physical damage and no health benefits. Another natural sweetener in our healthy CBD brownies is the plain applesauce. This helps reduce the egg count and butter thus needing less cholesterol heavy ingredients. Plus, it helps to support moisture in the brownie and adds fiber.
The second part of our healthy CBD brownies is dark cocoa. Dark cocoa is rich in antioxidants and may help increase the good cholesterol HDL. Another bonus, dark cocoa enhances blood flow and could reduce blood pressure.
The best wellness boosting part is our Bourbon CBD oil. No artificial ingredients with the benefits of CBD. Other CBD oils can be substituted like Vanilla Latte or Broad Spectrum (THC free) Spearmint.
Healthy CBD Brownie Recipe
- 1/2 cup of dark cocoa powder
- 1 & 1/2 cup of flour or 1:1 gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- A pinch (1/4 tsp) of salt
- 4 oz of plain apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of melted unsalted butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 3.5- 5 mL of Bourbon CBD Oil
- some extra butter for greasing pan
- Extras: 1-2 tbsp of Bourbon*, 1 tsp of mint extract, 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
- Turn on the oven to 350° and let it reach full temperature.
- Mix all dry ingredients and set aside. Dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- Separately mix all wet ingredients: apple sauce, eggs, butter, syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients together and mix.
- Add in 3.5- 4 mL of 750 Bourbon CBD Oil.
- Add in extra ingredients.
- Apply butter to an 8 x 8 pan.
- Place mixed ingredients in the 8 x 8 pan.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes. Check with a sharp knife or a toothpick. Poke in the middle and if they come out clean, it’s done!
With 750 mg Bourbon CBD oil baked into the brownies, there is a slight taste. If you want to add more CBD and bourbon taste, mix 2 mL and 1/4 chopped walnuts. Then add them on top before you bake the brownies. This is a great CBD snack with plant-based omega punch too!
Each brownie serving (one of nine) has approximately 20 mg of CBD per serving. With bourbon CBD walnut addition- each serving is approximately 25 mg of CBD.
* Combining alcohol like bourbon with CBD can heighten the effect of either alcohol or CBD. You may experience dizziness or intense symptoms. Keep the amounts of alcohol low. Please use caution when adding alcohol to this recipe. Healthy CBD brownies go well with other health practices like exercise and self-care. Check out our fitness classes at our 502 Hemp La Grange location. 502 Hemp is total wellness with Kentucky proud spirit.